20 December 2011

In Kyiv

I was in Kyiv today - or yesterday as it is again past midnight - for the EU-Ukraine summit where we finalised the negotiations for the Association Agreement. We also discussed visa liberalisation and questions of the energy market. I also raised the issue of the detention of former Prime Minister Tymoshenko which is a matter of great concern for us. Nontheless, Ukraine is an important partner for European Union and I hope we will continue to strengthen our ties in this 20th year of independence.

Now this was very likely the last major political event of 2011 and I am soon heading home to Portugal. On 23 December, I am going to receive an honorary doctor of the Technical University of Lisbon and then I will enjoy some days of Christmas. It was a very intensive year 2011…

No comments:

Post a Comment